20 February 2012

The Turk's Head


There are many things the Germans do well. Two of the most popular are the timing of their locomotives as well as their delicious beer, which comes in so many varieties, flavours and colours. I’ve visited Germany a number of times over the last three years and I always come back with a new favourite. The two beers reviewed today however, were both bought on a punt in Ireland, and I’ve never been happier.


First up is the Solzar-Bier. This bad boy goes toe to toe with most of the Germanic brews reaching our better stocked off-licences however failed to bring anything unique that would set it apart on the shelves for us normal beer drinkers. That said, it was by no means a mediocre beer and I’d happily drink this again and again. Ideal for a few cold ones on a Saturday afternoon.


Solzar-Bier probably suffered because what would follow it in my tasting which, in my opinion, is a behemoth of alcoholic delight. Doppel-Hirsh or double stag as Shane has told me, lives up to its name and more. I would easily have drunk several of these bad boys with my breakfast, dinner and tea. The dangerous thing lies in the fact you don’t realise that this is 7.2%, it’s that tasty and easily drank. That aside, it ticked all the right boxes for me in terms of flavour and as its not badly priced, it makes a nice choice if you want to be a little bit fancy on a Friday night in.

Solzar-Bier 5.2%
Price: €3.12 
Colour: Dark amber that shines with delight when held up against the light.
Nose: An interesting but subtle hint of toffee.
Palate: A smooth taste with a bitter finish that makes for very refreshing daytime drinking.
Score: 87 (B+)

Doppel-Hirsh 7.2%
Price: €3.85
Colour: Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruuuuby AHAHAAAAAAAH!!!!
Nose: Yummy Caramel, seductive like that Cadburys bunny.
Palate: Heaven. But more descriptive would be a very strong texture with interesting fruity tones and that delicious caramel comes through with a bitter finish. Yes, I spent a lot of time tasting this.
Score: 95 (A+)

Pádraig Mc Carrick 

1 comment:

  1. Slightly confusingly Turkish article - and 2 great sounding beers, I'll be keeping my eye out for some of these for the cellar thanks!

    ReplyDelete