25 January 2012

Ca'Rugate, Valpolicella Superiore, 2007

I have mentioned Valpol before, I have mentioned my infatuation, I have mentioned even my love of it's colour. I think now is the time to admit, I am obsessed with the bloody thing. Now, I am picky however, and have been set on many a rage by attempts that betray the grapes, the style and the very reason for Valpol. That being a wine, that is enticing, fresh and vibrant. This example, well lets say, pricey as it was, didn't disappoint.



Appearance:
Clean,  vibrant ruby, that crimson I always talk about in a very good Valpol (and not pale gold which I had misread from my tasting notes of a previous wine, which, if you have in your Valpolicella, I would hazard a guess you either aren't drinking a valpol or need a doctor rather urgently). The colour of the wine was a follow up with excellent intensity.

Nose:
Clean, and rather pronounced, a deep and intense dark black cherry opened up the nose game. A really refreshing nose and some great notes of thyme, adding some herbal freshness, which considering the freshness of the wine already could seem needless, yet, needless it was not, the refreshing nose added so much liveliness that other Valpolicella really aren't getting these days.
More fruits teetered out of the crimson, strawberries, and a red-currant. Where's the Cherry-cola you say? read on.

Palate:
Dry, with surprising tannic structure to the front of the mouth, I was having questions of whether this could age another 3 years, not only was I debating this but I still am. High acidity as you'd expect from an Italian, just begging pizza or pasta, with a full body of the black cherry, which exploded as the cherry cola you may so covet, everywhere on the palate, fruits like strawberry would hold tightly for their lives as the cherry hammered at them. As red currant opened so too did what seemed to be a slight oak influence, a tiny lick of sweet spices give another lively jump to this wine. It's finish is what really pushed up the marks here. it's length was never ending and the coat of liquorice was a fantastic way to end the glass really an amazing wine.

Comments:
A fantastic wine, my one and only problem? The price, at €20, it is in the realm of some real Corvina beasts, Ripassos kick into there element around this price point. All said, it's one of the few Valpolicella Superiores that I would like challenge a Ripasso, it is capable of offering the same body and yet doing something too many Ripassos fail to achieve a fresh balance of freshness. The most interesting thing here is definitely that strong gripping tannin. That could be holding a backlog of fruit and in a year or two that'll reveal itself and this will be a wine to revisit. As for food, well anything Italian will work, simple pasta dishes are a perfect match.

Score:
(A-) 91

Price:
€19.99 (Mill Wine Cellar)

Value (Out of 5):
3.5

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect thing for a good friend of mine, whose birthday is coming up soon. She works as a jeweller, and really likes "fine" things. Thanks for the tip; I'll make sure I buy her a bottle for her big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, sorry we didn't see the post sooner :) The Ca is a cracking wee wine! Whenever someone is giving a wine gift I always caution to give it on a night you'll get a glass yourself ;) Hope it goes down well as a gift!

      Delete