27 January 2012

Guest Article: the Good, the Bad and the Bitter


To change things up a bit and try some new things, a little group of us (including Rob of Team Empty) devised a beer tasting that would give us a nice range of flavours and styles. Well, we got what we asked for; a lovely variety, including a few real gems. Up for tasting we had Trouble Brewing Ór Golden Ale, Erdinger Weissbier Kristallklar, Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel, Honey Dew, and Belfast Blonde. So folks, here is my review of the good, the bad and the ugly of it all.


Trouble Brewing Ór Golden Ale

The Trouble Brewing was among my favourites from the tasting. Very crisp and refreshing, as well as beautifully smooth and full-bodied. This classy beer has a pleasing appley taste and a general subtle fruitiness. You can plainly taste the quality of the brewing. Very tasty drink that would probably tempt me into having more than just the one!

Alc. 4.3%
€2.99
Score: 83

Erdinger Weissbier Kristallklar

The Erdinger Kristallkar pours a pale golden straw colour and smells of fresh herbs and oddly enough, a little like lettuce. The herbs come through in the flavour and there is noticeable grapefruit and some soft peach, making it pleasantly fruity. On first impressions, I found this beer a bit strange but overall it was enjoyable, and I recall thinking it reminded me just slightly of a fruity Riesling, so it could suit Riesling fans rather well.

Alc. 5.3% Vol.
€2.50
Score: 68

Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel

This Erdinger was my overall favourite at the tasting and fairly won my heart! It has a luscious, rich, dark colour; like cola or a dark chocolate. Its smell is lightly sweet; a nice soft caramel. A little of this caramel sweetness translates from the nose to the palate, where it is mixed with apple, raisins and chocolate. Medium bodied and on the whole, delicious!

Alc. 5.6% Vol.
€2.80
Score: 90


Fuller’s Organic Honey Dew

The Honey Dew is a golden ale. Unsurprisingly, honey dominates the aroma and the taste, giving it a strange sweetness. Basically, Honey Dew does what it says on the tin. This sweetness is countered by a bitter kick. It is an interesting beer worth experiencing for a change but personally, I wouldn’t be able to drink too much of it or have it too often.

Alc. 5% Vol.
€2.99
Score: 52

Belfast Blonde

I’m a little apprehensive about reviewing this beer as I simply didn’t like it, and I know the boys at Empty Glass disagree! I’m going to go ahead with my opinion anyway, but I would recommend taking it with a pinch of salt for personal preference. Belfast Blonde is a citrusy light ale. The tang of oranges in specific stood out. There is far more than a hint of bitterness (which is probably what put me off). Something about the consistency seemed oily and in general it was just a bit dull and bland. Unimpressive.

Alc. 4.3& Vol.
€2.99
Score: 40


2 comments:

  1. Great article, must have been enjoyable researching it! Good to see the Kildare beer scoring high, it's one of my favourites too - and you've reminded me I've a couple in the cellar for this evening!

    How do you arrive at the marks for the beers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjourno, the marking system is really subjective. But rough rules are... 40 is something you'd never drink again, 50 is passable, 60 is average, 70 is good, 80 is a must try and 90 is up there is your all time favorites. Best way to understand the rating system is to understand the person reviewing :) Hopefully we'll get Zara back in for more reviews! Glad you liked it!

      Delete