23 August 2012

Michel Redde (And a picture of a Tractor)

ALERT! Rob, I, I Rob am about to speak rather fondly of French Sauvignon Blanc, for all of you who know me- brace yourselves, for all of you about to try one of these wines, brace yourself. 

Who, what, where and why? What am I doing you may ask yourself. Well, simply put, I'm tippling at a little glass of a white I ought to hate by it's name but love for the evident passion and craft that has returned one of the worlds most over done, over extracted, now atypically exciting grapes to a place of restraint and tease. In fact I would go so far as to say they and their banger of a tractor have made a little touch of art about their wines.

10 to 12 months on the lees and some spectacular terroir, with four main soil compositions in Vineyards a little older than myself at a youthful 25 years old, and tended very carefully with entirely  manual hand picking with small boxes. All very delicate and showing an end product which is sublime and offering a subtle display of all the delicate tones of fruit and terroir that Sauvignon Blanc can express at it's peak. 

Now I have touched on these guys before in an older article, (Which you'll find by clicking here) but this time I have managed to lay my paws on one of their wines which held something of an allure for me. Why so? It seemingly has a bit of ageing potential... That's right. So I wanted to see if the old   Sauvignon faithfuls could pull this off, guess what? They did and in a haunting style to boot. 

  • La Moynerie, Sauvignon Blanc, 2007 - Pouilly Fumé (€25.00): A delicate, expressive and pronounced display of exotic fruits dancing through a densely floral assault of yellow roses. Shaking acidity balanced out by dense fruit that is sliced softly on the palate as the finish continues to linger resisting any attempt to remove the freshness that echoes on the plate throughout the long journey on the palate that this wine offers. Truly a dazzling display of quintessential and yet almost nonexistent french elegance and finesse, a wine that at 5 years of age is only beginning to get going (Value: 4 Score: 90

No comments:

Post a Comment