20 March 2012

Quinta De Chocapalha, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006

Thesis bound, an hour to spare and name signed, freedom. Well, of sorts, Celebrations would have to wait, I had work. A chance I used to ponder what would be popped open. As my thoughts wandered and the evening waned, as did I. Having initially thought of opening a special bottle of New Zealand bubbles, I began to entertain the thought, I might just end up knocking off after a glass owing to how tired I was? 


Heeding the prospect of wasting something altogether too curious, I bought a replacement for the night, and fulfilled my estimations that a glass in and the week had it's revenge - I dosed off. Thankfully I had averted disaster. My plans now set towards, Saturday night, a chance to open something nice an pop up a review. Which ties into the title for all of you wondering where your  was Quinta De Chocapalha review was, and why I was filling you in on my week.

So, who are these Quinta De Chocapalha chaps, and what are they up to with their distinct lack of Portuguese natives here?

Well seemingly they have a big horse to fall off, with a region that have acclaimed fame for its suitablity as vineyard land since the 16th century. Which, were I Thobias, I would now reminisce back to my days in the 1500s and how I used sail the seas stealing things like people and potatoes from the Americas. Alas, I am Rob, and I am more importantly not 512 years old either.


The current propieters are also like myself well shy of grand old age of 512, in fact they only took up residence in the 1980's, most likely seeking refuge friom the awful cultrual zeitgeist prevailing at the time. Making massive improvements to the holding the "Tavares da Siva" family began bottling in 2000, only then becoming happy with their quality levels. So, while the horse they are sitting on is a tall one to fall from, these guys are well strapped in, and show no signs of slipping up anytime soon. Now the winemaking firmly in the hands of the daughter Sandra, is producing a wide and varied range of wines for all us vino-vultures. It just so happened that this one happened to catch my eye on the shelves of Lucan's Power and Smullen, as I made my way to the counter, managing play on my love for Portuguese wine swaying me away from Rhone (A big sorry to the Wine Store, I promise a Rhone article soon!).


Appearance:
A wine that had a few years behind it, ruby red hue, and medium to deep intensity. 

Nose:
Both an intense and pronounced nose, we were in Cabernet County now. Elegant and restrained blackcurrant, with a very fresh feel to it, herbaceous notes like mint showing up initially and deepening and evolving into intense menthol. As the wine open a floral aspect added itself to the roll call.  Lean, restrained and superbly fresh in summary.  

Palate:
A typical Cab in terms of body, full and round. The tannin had dropped out considerably, some mild acidity blending beautifully into the menthol and minty flavours on the palate making this incredibly fresh. The blackcurrant proved to be well defined and maintain a distinctly juicy feel. Dark chocolate, moving to cocoa emerged on the palate as the wine was given time to breath a little. 

Comments:
An excellent wine, ready to drink, no real need for decanting on this wine, it is holding itself together beautifully yet, I'd fear that too much air will kill it. The freshness of the wine stands out as the defining factor of the wine. A beautiful and well crafted wine altogether. Perfect balance between restrained Bordeaux and the good-slap-over-the-head Aussie Cab. 

Score:
(B) 85

Price:
€16.95 (Power & Smullen)

Value (Out of 5):
4



No comments:

Post a Comment