26 March 2011

Red Creek 2008 Merlot

New Zealand? Merlot? "That's not Pinot Noir!" I hear you scream. Well your powers of observation clearly do not fail you now at this pivotal moment. It is not a Pinot Noir and it is in fact from New Zealand. If I may dare to scare you further, New Zealand actually produces many different wines beyond Sauv Blanc and Pinot Noir. Now that said it's not always that good at producing the others. Merlot in my past experience from them has been "sinked" a whole lot more than a student budget can afford. Big question, did I sink this one? No, I tasted it in a shop- that'd be rude, but also no because it was nice. It may have needed another year in the bottle to kill the last of the tannins and open the fruit a little more, but it was below a tenner. €8.99. I complained not. You had a lovely mesh of wild berry and of chocolate on the palate. complemented quite well by the very same on the nose. Simple but rather effective. At a guess I would say that berry will be opening up a little more soon. Still all in all a rather nice treat if you want it. It is also a major improvement on other models of NZ Merlot, this one at it's price is great, be warned with NZ Merlot however, I have "sinked" bottles that just were not drinkable at over €10. So, be smart with this and realise that the Red Creek model is worth a shot, but other NZ Merlots, well, maybe they ought to just stay on the shelf and make the place look pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment