07 December 2010

Quaintness at €8.99

Viognier, better known to myself as a flag grape for South Africa, has notes, that if like myself your are fond of sharp white will turn your head, odd notes of apricots and a distinct lack of that citrus kick I have grown to associate with white wine (My main white wine being Sauvignon Blanc, the one of the few wines I drink that is hip).


This French example is from Chateau Camplazens, a small gaffe, still hand picking grapes and that to try and keep the standards high. The flavours are most likely owning to the low yield of the vines these lads have.

They're an organic winery, which is nice I suppose, however, for myself I really don't care. The wine takes a small spell in french oak, 6 months. The result of  of which is a Vin de Pays D'Oc that's not too bad at all.

Tasting Notes: Apircots, slightly syrupy taste to the wine, I found it on the sweet side nothing crazy but there was no acidity to clean it up after which was the only draw back. There's a funky vegtable taste to it- similiar to that in a fleurie oddly! All in all its something very different to the majority of wines out there so for that alone it's worth giving a lash. Also it smells of flowers, flowers, how often do you smell flowers anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment